Running Thoughts

Daily thoughts that may inspire or kick start something new.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Devotions

I have been a Youth Pastor for 15 years. I went to Bible College for 6 years over a 10 year period. I have been a Christian for 30 years and I have been going to Church for 34 years. During all that time I have not once discovered a fool proof plan on being dedicated to reading the Word of God on a consistent basis. I have been through seasons where I will read my Bible and I will take notes and I may even memorize a verse or two. But I have never stuck it out for more than a few months before I seem to drop it from my schedule. I am embarrassed and maybe even ashamed that I cannot stick to that simple task of doing my devotions. Now I read the Bible a lot for many things I do at Church, weather it is preparing a bible study or a sermon to reading a few verses from a paper I am reading. In fact I probably have read the whole Bible at least once in my 34 years of exisistance. I can quote scripture pretty well and I can even recognize a passage when read in Church. Yet, I don't have a consistent devotion, I don't dedicate a few moments in my day to read for myself to get to know God. Why? What is it that I can't just read, reflect and go on with my day? I can find time to watch my favorite programs on TV, I can find time to surf the internet for useless information or a play a game or two and yet I can't find the time to read my Bible. Again, I am ashamed and embarrassed to even admit this. So what am I going to do? I don't know because this is not the first time I have come to this conclusion. As I started by saying, all my life I have been up and down trying to commit my time to reading my Bible for me, not for a Bible study or a sermon, just to spend time with God and to take away something I can apply to my life. I can't expect youth to read their Bibles if I don't take the time to do it myself. The Bible even says, "A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher." Luke 6:40
So, I sit here this morning wanting to commit to a time to read my Bible and reflect on what God would be teaching me. I thank God for these moments and I pray that I will be motivated enough to do just that.
Now if I could just do the same about losing weight and working out! I think that might be hopeless.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was probably one of the best entries I have ever read. It's a tough thing to come to terms with and acknowledge. Dad I and were talking just the other day about how all we seem to do is struggle in our relationships with God. I told Dad that I figured He had me on mute. He just got tired of my going on and on about nothing important. Maybe He is trying to focus me onto what's important.

Anyways, I don't know what I'm trying to say and I certainly don't know what I'm trying to seek out, all I know is that I appreciate your candid honesty. And I'm sure so does He.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Colin -

Thanks for your honesty on this topic. I think most of us have been at this spot (perhaps frequently) during our lives. What's so interesting to me is that the times that I'm really into my devotions and totally learning so much and so close to God - during those times I can't understand why anyone would not do this all the time! Yet a few weeks later I can find myself far off the beaten track. It's a constant struggle to priortize our lives and choose to make time for those things that we think are important. Not easy!!! Keep sharing your thoughts.

Bev

9:51 PM  
Blogger Colin Monty said...

Thanks for your imput. I guess that is what makes our relationship with God so special, is that He never leaves, He never gives up. He waits patiently and wow us when we are connected to Him.

Merry Christmas all

5:14 PM  
Blogger matthew christopher davidson said...

Hey Colin,

I have recently started keeping morning and evening hours of prayer, according to the prayer rule of the Orthodox Church.

At evening, I finish my prayers and then read Scripture until I fall asleep.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home